Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy is a rash caused by a plant that releases an oily resin called urushiol. Once in contact with the skin, it causes an allergic reaction that creates redness, itching and often raised, fluid-filled, blisters.  The rash itself, is not contagious, but any remaining urushiol on the skin or clothing, can continue to create problems.

Typically, poison ivy rashes can be treated at home but occasionally may be severe enough to require medical intervention.

 

Symptoms

  • Redness

  • Itching

  • Swelling

  • Blisters

  • Difficulty breathing, if you've inhaled the smoke from burning poison ivy

 

Seek Treatment

  • If the rash is widespread or severe

  • Difficulty breathing

  • Involves the eyes, mouth or genitals

  • Involves swelling, especially near joints or face

  • If the blisters become infected

  • If you develop a fever

  • If the poison ivy rash does not get better within a week or two, or worsens.

Schedule Appointment